A qualified Muslim counsellor provides a counselling service at the Muslim Youth Foundation (MYF) on a voluntary basis.
Counselling is a type of talking therapy or psychological therapy. It involves talking to a counsellor about your problems. Counsellors are trained to listen sympathetically and can help you deal with any negative thoughts and feelings.
People sometimes use the word counselling to refer to talking therapies in general, but counselling is also a specific type of therapy.
Talking therapies can be used to treat numerous health conditions, including:
- Borderline personality disorder (BPD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Long-term illnesses
- Eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia
- Drug misuse
Availability of counselling
Here at the MYF we have a fully qualified and trained counsellor to guide and talk to people on majority matters.
Being a Muslim counsellor he is fully aware of any religious issues people may be facing and works accordingly to adhere to your religious needs as well as your personal needs.
The aims of counselling
Counselling and talking therapies can help people:
- Discuss their problems honestly and openly
- Deal with issues that are preventing them from achieving their goals and ambitions
- Have a more positive outlook on life
Counselling can be a positive way of addressing any unresolved issues you have and can help you understand your problems better. It can also give you a better understanding of other people’s points of view.
To book a counseling session at the MYF please click on the link below and fill in the on-line form.