Tajweed Class Every Sunday For Adults After Maghrib
Just a quick reminder for all the brothers that we have Tajweed Classes every sunday after Maghrib with brother Majid. This is a blessed opportunity to learn how to recite the Quran in the correct manner.
What is Tajweed?
Tajweed is the science of reciting the Qur’an in accordance with the established rules and regulations of pronunciation so that every letter is recited with all its qualities from its correct place of pronunciation.
Recitation of the Holy Qur’an is a science which needs to be studied so that every letter of the Qur’an can be recited with the correct pronunciation. Due to the vastness of the Arabic language, a small mistake in the pronunciation of a letter or word can change the meaning of that word. For example, the word ‘qalb’ (with a qāf), which means heart, if read ‘kalb’ (with a kāf), will mean ‘dog.’ Hence, reciting the Qur’an incorrectly will mean that, on occasions, you may unknowingly distort the meaning of the Qur’an.
The Tajweed lessons will give brothers a chance to learn how to recite the Qur’an properly, to improve and perfect their recitation and fulfill an important obligation of Islam.
Allah سبحانه وتعالى says in the Holy Qur’an: “And recite the Qur’an with Tarteel (in a slow pleasant tone and style).” [73/4].
When asked about the meaning of tarteel, Sayyiduna Ali رضى الله عنه replied, “It means that the Qur’an should be recited with tajweed and with due observance to the rules of waqf (pausing or stopping at the end of a verse)”.
The Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم has said, “Indeed Allah desires that the Qur’an be recited in the manner in which it was revealed.”
Benefits & Virtues of Tajweed
The benefit of learning and reciting the Qur’an in the correct manner is that a person will be able to fulfil his obligation as a Muslim towards the Qur’an. It will also become a means of him/her being honoured in this world and in the hereafter. Most importantly he/she will be able to read the Qur’an in the manner in which it was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم . In one hadeeth the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم has said,
“The best of all worship is the recitation of the Holy Qur’an.”
What we need to know
In order to recite the Holy Qur’an in the correct manner as it was revealed and recited by the Holy Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلمwe need to familiarise ourselves with the knowledge of two things:
1. The correct pronunciation of the letters of the Arabic alphabet.
2. The rules related to perfecting the recitation of the Qur’an.
- One should not attend with a high expectation of learning the Qur’an quickly. The more time and effort one dedicates in learning the Qur’an, the more precise and correct one’s recitation will become. Practice leads to perfection. Every minute taken out to learn the Qur’an is rewarded. Please note that since every individual has different abilities and therefore there is no specific time scale to complete this course. Everyone will work at their own pace.
- Extra time (other than the allocated class time) should be spent to revise the Qur’an.
- With regard to the rules of Tajweed, one should always remember to learn, identify and then implement them.
- Necessary etiquettes should be adopted before proceeding to recite the Qur’an. This will help towards making the reciting of the Qur’an easier.